Friday, August 1, 2008

adjusting to a new life...

I have been working my butt off to finish my room. It's a lot more finished than any of the girls on my hall, which makes me feel good. We had the fire marshall come to the school and tear us a new one. Apparently, tons of people have refrigerators and microwaves in there room. That's a no no these days. Everything has to be 18in from the wall/ceiling. And the kicker for some people, especially pre-k & kindergarten teachers, only 20% of your wall space can be covered. So basically, a little less than a whole walls worth of stuff can be covered. My friend is a new kindergarten teacher and she is struggling because they use their walls to teach the kids. For me, the rules just made me move a few posters down.

My body is slowly but surely adjusting to my new schedule. I am out like a light by midnight, and up before my alarm rings around 6:30. What's sad is that I tried to watch a movie earlier in the week. I curled up on the couch with a cover and watched a whole 5 minutes of it. When I awoke, the movie was over. I have remarkable timing!

Meanwhile, I have been spending my Sonny Money (our governor gives teachers 100$ credit cards to spend on supplies). I recently found out that new teachers can get 200$ worth of supplies from the schoolbox or office depot/max. I am really excited about that. My favorite thing in the world is shopping for school supplies. Yes,I know that makes me a nerd. I don't care. I would go to Staples over a mall if I had the choice.

4 comments:

John said...

Don't forget to mention that Sonny Money came about because after being elected on a campaign that highly emphasized raising teachers salaries he realized he couldn't raise your salary and decided instead to give you a 100$ gift card. That Sonny Money seems kind of bittersweet now.

Jan said...

Your room looks terrific (now there's an old term)!! I've been spending lots of time in my room now, too, because they make us pack up everything every year. I decided to move a bookcase and found there was a floortile missing under it!!! Now I'm thinking asbestos??? I put a walmart rug over it. Teachers start officially Aug. 12, but they only give us about 1/2 day in our classrooms, so it's a given that we go early on our own time. So, are y'all departmentalized? I was thinking you would teach 4th only.

Krystian said...

I am only teaching fourth grade. Fulton county is the only Metro-Atlanta county that lets students take accelerated courses in elementary school. I will be teaching fourth graders, fifth grade math.

Jan said...

I gotcha! Thanks for clarifying! I met a brand new 4th grade teacher at our school today. I told her about you. I plan to give her your blog address. Tell JM hey!

 


Design by: Blogger XML Skins | Distributed by: Blogger Templates